My mother came up with this dish for ham and beans recipe,and I used to love it. My tastes evolved slightly as I grew older, so I adjusted her recipe to make it a little spicier. Despite having a small list of ingredients, it is fantastic! With leftover ham, you must cook this, and everyone lauds it as being fantastic.
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 2 hrs
Additional: 8 hrs
Total: 10 hrs 15 mins
- 1 pound dry great Northern beans
- ½ pound cooked ham, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups water, or as needed to cover
- Salt and pepper to taste
- After rinsing, add the beans to a big stockpot. Let stand for at least eight hours or overnight after covering it with cold water. Wash and drain the beans.
- Reintroduce the beans to the stockpot together with the ham, onion, sugar, parsley, and cayenne. Add water until it covers, then seasons with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; lower heat to a simmer; cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until beans are cooked, adding additional water as necessary.
- This ham and beans recipe is going to make your guests feel delighted and overwhelmed.
Per Serving: 300 calories; protein 18.6g; carbohydrates 42.8g; fat 6.7g; cholesterol 18.2mg; sodium 423.5mg. Full Nutrition.