Chicken is the love of my life and my day. However, people like to have normal chicken for their dinner or lunch. But few are chili lovers. Therefore I came with this traditional easy chicken handi recipe to serve the people with different choices.
Chicken handi is a recipe that is full of spices but does not make your tongue mad at chilies. Especially the thick gravy of chicken handi makes it more delicious. You can eat it with Nan or chappati. I personally eat it with “dhoodh walay naan”.
Usually, chicken handi is prepared at our family gatherings or special weekends. When we cook chicken handi on weekends, it makes our weekend tasty, delicious, and rememberable.
I am not stepping back from my words that chicken handi isn’t spicy. I indeed am. But still, there isn’t a high taste of chilies in it. It has a lite spicy texture which is kids friendly. And they can also eat it with joy. Therefore you will not have to cook separate Maggie or pasta for your child.
Origin of chicken handi:
Chicken handi is an extremely classic dish, which used to be cooked in the dark ages. Therefore we can not refer to chicken handi as a new or modern dish when there wasn’t gas and nonstick cooking equipment. People used to cook in a pot made of mud called handi. And the chicken cooked in that mud dish is called chicken handi.
Read this one Chicken chunks recipe
Uses of handi:
Don’t underestimate this classy mud dish. Because it’s not a normal dish but also adds to your health. It retains oil and prevents you from gaining high carb or unhealthy food. Moreover, clay and mud pot contains different nutrients such as calcium, iron, potassium, sulfur, and magnesium, which is really unbelievable.
The food which is cooked in handi is much more delicious than that cooked in other pots. Furthermore, we cook many more dishes in handis such as daal, biryani, and fish curry.
Types of handi:
Chicken handi is the main and continental dish in the different countries of Central Asia. It specifically was originated in parts o Punjab. And still, Punjabis give more preference to chicken handi over any other recipe.
- Chicken handi
- Butther chicken handi
- Masala chicken handi
- Boneless chicken handi
- Creamy chicken handi.
Different types of chicken handis are cooked in restaurants nowadays. However, they cook simple chicken masala in handi pot and name it masala handi, which is not the exact and original recipe of chicken handi.
Original chicken handi is now rarely found in today’s time. Also, it is cooked in parts of Pakistan, Bangladesh, and almost in all cities of Pakistan.
As I mentioned, earlier original chicken handi is rarely found nowadays. But you don’t have to worry. I will introduce you to the original and easy chicken handi recipe. Here are the main ingredients of handi which are originally used. And chicken handi cannot be called the real one except for these ingredients.
Use of onion:
What? Onion. I know you are shocked to hear such a simple and common ingredient, but onion is the life of chicken handi. Onion helps to thicken the gravy and absorb all the chili spices of it. Therefore when you add spices into your chicken handi, the taste will be there, and the chili will disappear.
Use of butter:
However, chicken handi can be cooked in half butter and half oil. But you can also use only butter if you like it so. But the use of butter is a must for the perfect results of chicken handi.
Butter is a soft and creamy ingredient. Moreover, butter contains Vitamin A. And can also help to promote your eye health. Also, it gives strength to your bones and makes them stronger.
Use of cream:
The cream is used in chicken handi to thicken the gravy and make it a bit heavy. Because the main thing in chicken handi is its thick gravy, also make sure to use heavy cream instead of whipped cream. Because normally, whipped cream isn’t used for cooking. We always used heavy cream. Now let’s go for the preparation of the traditional and classy dish.
- 10 minutes
- 35 minutes
- Handi clay pot
- 2 large onions
- Half cup oil or ghee
- Quarter teaspoon turmeric powder
- Half teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ¼ cup butter
- Half kg boneless chicken
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- Quarter teaspoon black pepper powder
- Half teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Half cup yogurt
- Half teaspoon Dried fenugreek leaves
- Half teaspoon salt
- 6 green chilies
- Firstly chop the onion finely. Then put the handi pot on the flame and preheat it for 2 minutes. Now add half a cup oil into a handi and add onion after the oil gets hot. Fry onion until the color turns light brown. Don’t make it dark brown.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Next, add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder, cinnamon powder, and salt. Saute them for 3 minutes. After that, add chopped green chilies and mix.
- Then add chicken to the mixture and mix the mixture completely with the chicken. Then add coriander seeds. And Put a lid on it for 3 minutes.
- Thirdly remove the lid and add 1 and a half cups of water to the chicken. Again mix the chicken with mixture and cover for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid after 15 minutes. Now add cream and butter into the chicken and mix for 4 minutes on medium flame.
- Then add yogurt and cook on high flame until chickens leave the oil and gravy gets thicker.
- Next, add cream and cook for 3 minutes.
Delicious chicken handi is ready to serve. Eat delicious chicken and gravy with hot naan. Cut some green chilies and a glass of Pepsi or coke with it to add joy. Also, cut some fresh salad, including tomatoes and onion. You can cook it for dinner as well as lunch.